Some Secrets That Only Professional Painters Know
24 January 2023
At Contrast Painting we are passionate about providing high quality paint jobs that are fast, clean and efficient. We specialise in Perth residential painting, however, we believe that everyone should know the basics to doing a good job.
Below you’ll find some tips and tricks to painting houses professionally:
- 1. Proper Surface Preparation: This includes cleaning the surface, filling in cracks and holes, and sanding to create a smooth surface. Proper preparation will ensure that the paint adheres properly and the finish looks smooth.
- 2. Use High-Quality Paint: Professional painters typically use high-quality paint that is durable and long-lasting. This will ensure that the paint job looks great and lasts for a long time.
- 3. Use the Right Tools: Professional painters have a variety of tools at their disposal, including paint brushes, rollers, and sprayers. Choosing the right tool for the job will ensure that the paint is applied evenly and the finish looks smooth.
- 4. Pay Attention to Details: Professional painters pay attention to details such as cutting in around the edges and corners, and making sure that the paint is applied evenly. This will ensure a neat and professional finish.
- 5. Clean up thoroughly: after the job is done, it's important to clean up the area, dispose of paint cans and other materials in an environmentally safe way, and to leave the area as clean as possible.
- 6. Be Safety conscious: painting can be dangerous, so it's important to take safety precautions such as wearing protective gear, and following guidelines for proper use of ladders, scaffolding, and other equipment.
It is important to note that painting is a skill that takes time to develop and that you need to have knowledge about colour selection, paint application techniques, use of tools, safety, etc.
To achieve professional results, we recommend talking to a professional interior painter and would only be too happy to talk about your job.
Surface preparation is an important step in any paint job, as it ensures that the paint will adhere properly and the finish will look smooth.
From our experience in Perth painting, here are some steps you should take when preparing a surface for painting:
1. Clean the Surface: Remove any dirt, dust, or other debris from the surface. This can be done with a broom, a vacuum cleaner or a pressure washer.
2. Repair any Damage: Fill in any cracks or holes with a filler and sand the surface to create a smooth finish.
3. Sand the Surface: Sand the surface to remove any loose paint and to create a smooth surface for the new paint to adhere to.
4. Remove any loose paint: Use a paint scraper, wire brush or sandpaper to remove any loose or peeling paint.
5. Clean the Surface Again: After the surface is repaired and sanded, it is important to clean the surface again to remove any dust or debris that may have accumulated during the preparation process.
6. Prime the Surface: Apply a coat of primer to the surface to ensure that the paint will adhere properly.
7. Allow the Surface to Dry: Allow the surface to dry completely before applying paint.
It is important to note that the type of surface and the condition of the surface will determine the specific steps that need to be taken in the surface preparation process. Some surfaces may require special cleaning solutions or additional repairs. Seek professional advice if you are unsure about the surface preparation process.
USING HIGH QUALITY PAINT
Using high-quality paint is an important aspect of achieving a professional paint job. Here are a few ways to ensure that you are using high-quality paint:
1. Use paint from reputable brands: Look for paint that is made by reputable manufacturers who have a track record of producing high-quality paint.
2. Check the paint's VOC content: Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) are chemicals that are found in paint and can have negative effects on air quality and human health. Look for paint that has a low VOC content.
3. Look for paint with a high level of pigmentation: Pigmentation refers to the amount of colour in the paint. A paint with a high level of pigmentation will provide better coverage and will be more durable.
4. Use paint with a high level of hiding power: Hiding power refers to the ability of the paint to conceal the surface underneath. Look for paint with a high level of hiding power to ensure that the paint will provide good coverage.
5. Get a paint that suits your needs: Different types of paint are designed for specific surfaces and conditions. Make sure you use paint that is suitable for the surface you're painting and for the conditions in which it will be used.
6. Consult with a paint specialist: Paint specialists can help you select the right paint for your project and can give you recommendations based on your specific needs and preferences.
It is also important to note that while price can be an indicator of quality, it is not always the case. Some high-end paint may not be suitable for your project and a less expensive paint may be a better fit. Consult with interior painter specialists, seek professional advice and look at the paint's technical specifications before purchasing.
USING THE RIGHT TOOLS
As professional Perth painters, we use a variety of tools to ensure that the paint is applied evenly and the finish looks smooth. Here are some of the most common tools that professional painters use:
1. Paint brushes: Professional painters use a variety of paint brushes, including angled brushes, flat brushes, and trim brushes, to apply paint to edges and tight spaces.
2. Paint rollers: Paint rollers are used to apply paint to large areas quickly and evenly. They come in different lengths and widths to suit different surfaces.
3. Paint tray and liners: A paint tray is used to hold paint and a liner is used to line the tray. This helps keep the tray clean and makes it easy to dispose of excess paint.
4. Extension poles: Extension poles are used to reach high areas and to extend the reach of paint rollers and brushes.
5. Paint sprayer: Paint sprayers use air or high pressure to atomize paint and apply it to the surface. They are used for large surfaces and also for fine finishing.
6. Scrapers: Scrapers are used to remove paint, wallpaper, or other materials from surfaces.
7. Sandpaper: Sandpaper is used to prepare surfaces by removing old paint, smoothing rough surfaces, and creating a smooth surface for new paint to adhere to.
8. Drop cloths: Drop cloths are used to protect floors and furniture from drips and spills.
9. Ladder: ladder is used to reach high areas, and scaffolding can also be used to reach difficult areas, such as high ceilings or walls.
10. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Professional painters use PPE like respirator mask, goggles, and gloves to protect themselves from paint fumes and other hazards.
It's important to note that the tools used will depend on the job, and some projects may require specific tools. Professional painters typically have a wide range of tools that they can use to suit different tasks and surfaces.
ATTENTION TO DETAIL
Professional painters pay attention to a variety of details in order to achieve a high-quality paint job.
As Perth residential painting experts, here are a few things that we pay particular attention to:
Professional painters take the time to carefully cut in around the edges and corners of the room. This helps create a neat and clean finish and ensures that the paint is applied evenly.
Professional painters will sand the surface to remove any loose paint and to create a smooth surface for the new paint to adhere to. This ensures that the paint will go on smoothly and will have a professional finish.
Professional painters use a variety of painting techniques, such as cross hatching, to ensure that the paint is applied evenly and that the finish looks smooth.
Professional painters will pay attention to small details such as covering the edges and corners of the room with tape, making sure that the paint is applied evenly, and ensuring that the paint is dry before applying the next coat.
Inspection and touch-ups
After the job is done, professional painters will inspect the work and make any necessary touch-ups to ensure that the final product looks as good as possible.
It's important to note that attention to detail, proper technique and patience are key factors in achieving a professional paint job. Professional painters have the experience, knowledge and skill to handle any problem that may arise and to ensure that the final product is of the highest quality.
CLEANING UP AND WORKING SAFELY
At Contrast Painting we take our work very seriously and strive to deliver the best possible results for our clients. We understand that this involves working cleanly and safely and that’s why we take every possible measure to protect your home, your family and pets, as well as ourselves.
We hope you have found our approach to interior painting useful and can learn from some of our secrets of the trade.
If you need a Perth painting job done, please don’t hesitate to contact us to find out more.